What is the New Hampshire Health Protection Program:
A new program for low-income Granite Staters to get health insurance coverage at little or no cost.
In 2014, changes in state law created the New Hampshire Health Protection Program (NHHPP), a Medicaid-funded health care program that expands coverage to low-income New Hampshire residents. The NH Health Protection Program allows many low-income Granite Staters to enroll in a health insurance plan at little or no cost. Even if you already have health insurance, you may still be eligible to sign up for coverage through the Health Protection program, substantially reducing your monthly costs for health insurance. And if you're not already covered, you may be eligible to get covered now!
Who's eligible for the New Hampshire Health Protection Program:
Thousands of Granite Staters are eligible to sign up for health coverage through the Health Protection program at little or no cost! The program is available to Granite Staters aged 19 through 64 whose incomes fall below a certain level. To check if you may be eligible, click here to visit the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services website.
What are the program options for the NH Health Protection Program:
For new enrollees in the NH Health Protection program, the eligibility process has three potential options:
- Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (HIPP): If you or someone in your family is eligible to receive health insurance through an employer, you may qualify for help in covering your insurance costs. If you are eligible for the HIPP Program, the New Hampshire Health Protection Program will pay your share of the insurance costs.
- Medically Frail: If you have a physical, mental or emotional condition that causes limitations in daily activities; or you reside in a medical facility or nursing home then you could self-attest as medically frail. People who are medically frail are excluded from PAP. These people will enroll through managed care and have an option of Alternative Benefit Plan (ABP) or standard Medicaid package of benefits.
- Premium Assistance Program (PAP): If you are a New Hampshire resident between the ages of 19 to 65 and meet certain household income levels and other requirements, you may be eligible for the Premium Assistance Program (PAP). Through this program you will get your health coverage through a commercial health plan available on the Health Insurance Marketplace. You will be able to choose a plan from a group of health plans that are available to you based on where you live.
What medical services are covered through the NH Health Protection Program:
While coverage will vary depending which option you're eligible for, all of the coverage options available through the New Hampshire Health Protection Program are required to cover services like regular check-ups with your doctor, emergency room visits, prescription drugs, visits to specialists, and more. So, in short, no matter which program you're eligible for, you can have peace of mind knowing you're covered!
How to apply for coverage through the NH Health Protection Program:
Applying for health insurance through the New Hampshire Health Protection Program is easy, and applications are being accepted now. To apply, just choose the method that's most convenient for you:
- Online: Fill out an application at nheasy.nh.gov or healthcare.gov
- Phone: Call (888) 901-4999 for personalized assistance (Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm)
- Paper Application: Download a paper application at dhhs.nh.gov
- In-Person: Find the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services district office closest to you at dhhs.nh.gov.